Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bikes or Vans - What Is Easier?

Feet or a bike seem like simpler ways to travel. With a van you have so many options for failure. So many things that can go wrong. The other day as I was driving by our local grocery store, Safeway, I saw a little girl standing under a tree eating a banana. I was compelled to stop, as I was certain there was more to the picture than met the eye. Beside this sweet child bedecked in a frock that appeared to come from a century ago, were two bicycles and a child travel wagon. I was pretty certain this was not just a typical stop at the food market for this family.

I pulled up my van and with great eagerness asked if they were on a road trip. Yes, they were. From where, I asked? Juno, Alaska. My heart quickened as the energy they carried surged through my veins. Oh, to be them. On the road again!!

The little one - only about 2 years of age - stood there with no idea how profound her life was - as her mother and father and I talked. I am sure no thought crossed their minds of how their words were inspiring me, feeding my soul, encouraging me to continue towards what I need - To travel, by foot, by car, by bicycle - anyway - any how - just to go, to see, to experience. 

As I left them sheltered from the hot sun, I turned to my five curious children in the backseat of our van, and planted a seed of adventure in their hearts - What did they think of a trip by bicycle? Where could we go? California? The west coast of British Columbia?  

Yes, you are prepared! I told them. You run. You all run. Miles upon miles. Our children have always run. Ever since our oldest boys, now 21 and 23 years of age, I have had my children run off extra energy and attitude, and for just good old physical exercise. Just last year our younger children, Ayana, Courage, and Israel, on their own volition,  ran 75 km over the course of a mere three days to raise money to help bring three children from Ethiopia to their adoptive family in Canada. With lungs and hearts trained to run they could certainly ride bicycles! I, on the other hand, am a different story! I would need some work, a lot of training, and much patience on the part of my young partners!! But I am up to this. I am willing to spend the winter bent over the handlebars of a stationary bike - albeit with a television attached! Hey, if there is no real vision in it then I am not too compelled to see it through! Give me a road with no end, a million miles to go and I can handle that, but a stationary bike is just too darned boring for me! So plug in my TV, give me my bike, and I will prepare!

I can't guarantee I'll take to the road on a bicycle! But whatever the case, seeing that young family proved to me that this desire to travel again is not just a whim. It is who I am, and I am so happy to see that my children have picked up the bug. Once you experience seeing the world from a backpacker's point of view there is no turning back! You would rather eat lunches at Costco test stations then give up the road and afford a proper lunch! Ask any fellow traveler and they will agree. Some things are worth sacrificing for the wonder that awaits!

In the meantime, I need to slow things down! As I plan for this trip, my mind is already jumping ahead preparing for the cold days of winter when the children and I can spend hours pouring over atlases and Google earth to find the best routes to see the west coast of our remarkable country! But that is rushing things. So I shall gently place that lovely idea on the shelf, knowing I will be back to ponder it when the time is right!

Today, instead, I will spend nearly $3000 to get my van road worthy. Who would have thought! But when you are about to undertake a trip that will take you many, many miles from your trusty mechanic you better be sure you are ready for it! 

As I got the call from the garage he reminded me that I had asked him to send me out as if I were one of his daughters. He did. And God is faithful! Just the day before I was to go to the garage and drop off my van the check gauges light came on, and my engine overheated. It turned out I had a hole in my radiator among a few other choice repairs. Stan told me that if that had not happened now I would likely have been out $6000-$8000, so I am thankful!

Now, Lord willing, I am ready for the road. The van has new tires, radiator and thermostat, plus, air conditioning repaired, oil change, and other odds and ends that simply were overlooked for the last four years. On top of that, my wee caravan has a new axle, holding tanks, fresh tires, new plumbing and thermostat in the fridge - oh, well, yada yada - we should be good to go!


1 comment:

  1. Are you all set to go? You won't be sleeping much tonite:) safe travels to all of you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!