Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 40 - A Day of Two Friends

Day 40 - Monday, September 29, 2014

I awoke this morning to the feeling that I was in the middle of Jurassic Park. You know that moment when the children are hiding in the bushes, and they can hear and feel the vibrations of the Tyrannosaurus Rex as it lumbers around looking for them? That moment. I had that moment. I awoke to the sound of a monster grinding and grunting and beeping and banging, as it worked right beside me. Right. Beside. Me. 

As soon as I heard the sound, at the early hour of 6:15, I knew what it was. The dumpster garbage truck. The operator worked his machine up to the long side of the garbage shed and then out came the long arms. They reached into the shed and scooped up the first dumpster, tipping it back into the garbage truck. It was then lowered and it came down with a calculated thud. 

Knowing what was going on, I crawled back under my covers and waited. I knew the driver could see us parked parallel lengthwise to the dumpster shed, but lying there in the sem-darkness, it didn’t matter. I lay there waiting for that moment. The moment when the T-Rex would find us. I could hear him out there snuffling, and thudding, and breathing hard, and moving things around because he knew we were there. Somewhere. He just had to find us. I was waiting for that moment in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex reached into that bathroom stall and opening his enormous mouth reached down and scooped up that poor man sitting on the toilet and boom - he was gone. Breakfast. I did not want to be breakfast.

Eventually, as I lay there waiting, he pulled away from the shed and lumbered away, and I knew it was over. I would never, ever, ever park beside a dumpster again!

~~~~~~~~

It wasn’t until we pulled out that we saw the *one* *lone* sign reading “No Overnight Parking”. Weren’t we fortunate that we didn’t get ousted!





I headed off to Niagara Falls, glad I had driven as far as I had the night before. It didn’t take long before we arrived, and I found parking only a twenty minute walk from the Maid in the Mist boat tour. Yes, a twenty minute walk if you walk only one way, but we didn't do that. We walked all the way there, just to discover we had forgotten the second camera battery, and my camera died as soon as we arrived. So back to the car we hiked!

The boat ride was amazing, the falls awe-inspiring, and I had a lovely drink from Niagara Falls. A benefit when you wear glasses and the water streams down! 








 On the Maid in the Mist








After the falls we walked back to the van, and enroute we ran across this guy singing some old songs. He was an Elvis impersonator, and knowing Song’s personality, I asked her if she would like to go on stage with him. We had just seen an elderly woman do this, so I knew it was do-able. She is the only one of my children that has those kind of guts, so I like to give her these chances when they arise.  Gutsy girl did it.




~~~~~~~~~~~





Lunch Time

After the falls, we headed to an adoption friend’s house. We have been corresponding for a very long time - six years. Her daughter was a room-mate of my girls in the second orphanage. 



Impressed to See How Tough Road Laws Are!


It was interesting to see that in Ontario we had options as to where to spend our night: A friend's house or a nudist colony. Well, at the nudist colony I wouldn't have to worry about the fact that my clothes are all ready for the laundry: no clothes necessary. But I am not sure that they feed you at Ponderosa, and I know my friend will be blessing us…  ;)   Decisions, decisions!!


The Lovely Farms!



It was interesting to see how our girls had all grown up. It was a wonderful - very lovely - visit, and we spent hours chatting about life. I am so glad we had a chance to get to know each other in real life!!  





Gadisae and Edeluit (sp)

After a delicious barbecue and hours of talk, and swimming and playing for the children, it was time to hit the road. Midnight was upon us, and it was our best time to travel. My intention was to make it to Sarnia and then spend then night, and cross the border first thing in the morning. 








First stop? Tim Hortons: ice cap, cafe-mocha, dozen doughnuts. The deal? One doughnut each, and for anyone awake in another hour - another doughnut. Otherwise, second doughnut in the morning. Verdict? Courage was awake until we arrived in Sarnia, the rest made it for thirty minutes maximum! Some didn’t even know we made it to Tim Horton’s! 

We arrived in Sarnia, and with my trusty GPS, found a Walmart near the border. Tucked in and went to sleep. Early to rise and cross over to Michigan tomorrow!


The Empty Midnight Roads




1 comment:

  1. Wow your photos are awesome, so enjoying following your journey.

    ReplyDelete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!