Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 41 From Ontario to a Magical Island

Day 41 - September 30, 2014  - Tuesday 

Kitchener, ON - Mackinac, MI

We crossed the border into Michigan and lucky me, I was picked for a “Random agricultural inspection”. Yeah, random. That’s why they pulled me over last time, too! I’m thinking that an RV with five kids and a plan to be gone for seven weeks is enough to get me chosen. Forget random! Three entries. Three pain in the butt experiences!

Once over the border - which we entered by crossing yet another bridge - we headed up Michigan towards Mackinaw. Now, Mackinaw and Mackinac are both correct spellings and words. But they are pronounced the same way: “Mack - in - aw”. 



I am impressed with how seriously they take careful driving and the lives of construction workers!

I was going to be camping on the southern side of the Mackinaw bridge, and then in two day I would be crossing the bridge and heading for Duluth, Minnesota. Before we found our campsite we headed to the Mackinaw Lighthouse. 







A horrifying experience when I had to travel this bridge the following day!!





I found my campsite and was impressed. We are situated on Lake Huron and it is huge, clean, well-organized, and decently priced. There are at least two very good quality playgrounds, as well as a shuttle to the ferries that take you to the ferry service that carries you to Mackinaw Island. 

I was not the nicest person by the time I parked. The blankety-blank trailer would *not* get straight and it was not a pull-through. My blood sugar was low. The hour was late. And I was no happy camper. We finally got situated, after I am sure, giving the neighbours a real eyeful as I went back and forth, back and forth, trying to get the blankety-blank trailer simply into the spot I had been given. 

After that, it was a feast that I was to make. We were starving and we were eating. We made a delicious pasta sauce with veggies to go on pasta, and then browned some fresh chicken with onion and mushroom to be poured over hot rice. Oh, was that dinner ever satisfying! Everybody putting in their time helping out in our wee little home. These pictures depict just how small it is when we are all working!

Folding Laundry

Kitchen Helper

Prep Cook

Finder of Lost Items

Now Imagine Me In There, Too, Right Beside Israel

And then we all hit the sack as we were exhausted from the last two days driving, visiting, and sight-seeing!



1 comment:

  1. But you managed to park the blankety blank trailer, you go girl, I knew you could do it. I am proud of you. This trip has provided the kids with soooo much history and learning they will never forget that. Who needs text books when they have you for a Mom.

    ReplyDelete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!