Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chicago - Getting Lost - Part 2 - Day 10


Day 10 Saturday, August 30, 2014

I hadn’t told the children about a couple surprises on the trip, as I wanted them to be ‘surprised’ - duh!  Cirque Shanghai was remarkable! Synchronized, organized, impressive!! 








After this we went to the Shoreline Cruises and had a wonderful cruise showing us a bit of the architecture of the city. Ayana was fascinated with the history the guide was telling, and she had to strain her ears to hear, as everyone was making so much noise. I am glad to see that my children like to know things and not just watch the action that passes them by. 













The ferris wheel is a Navy Pier must-do. Chicago is known by this ferris wheel, and if you want a bird’s eye view this is the way to do it!! A full rotation takes seven minutes, and you can get some great pictures! Not to mention being able to tell people, “I went up there,” when you see it on television. 




 

The View From the Top

We also went to the Stained Glass Museum and it was remarkable. These were a few of my favourites.





As we passed Margaritaville, I was very tempted to stop. Seriously!! The last time we went there was in Jamaica, and a margarita would have been lovely right about now on a hot 90* day, but me being the responsible mother, knew it was not the time for it, so I sacrificed and kept on walking. 


A nice respite on the way to the cab!




By now it was getting late, and we had a train to catch at 6:30. I didn’t want to take my chances and not get the train, so we hightailed it to the cab station. Our cabbies have all been so interesting! What I love about Chicago cabbies is their friendliness and desire to know about you. This man was from Kenya, and he had come to the US to study Political Science, and he said he was driving the cabs to pay bills. 





 At the train station we found track 15, and then sat on the ground waiting for the Metra.


The boys had wanted to get on the upstair part of the train, and this time it was empty, so we did. I kind of got disoriented, and so asked someone what station we were at. I did not want to end up lost somewhere! This man was thoughtful enough to go downstairs and ask the person working on the train which station we were coming to. I was a little nervous because we had left our caravan and had no clue if it was still safe. 





About twenty minutes later, we left the train and headed out in the direction we thought we were to go. 



Now, in the morning, we had begun walking, but then had received a ride, so exiting the train I realized I had no real bearings. I didn’t know where my caravan was other than the fact that it was parked beside a bank and was in a strip mall, and had an auto parts store nearby. Not smart. But then, I didn’t plan to get a ride, and honestly, I was a little stressed as I arrived in this suburb of Chicago because of the unexpected vehicle issue, and the pressure to get to the event on time, and then not being able to find parking for the caravan. Not to mention so much to remember: Where is the credit card, bank card. driver’s license, cash, passports, Cirque Shanghai tickets, train tickets, kids, and so much more!

I knew we had been told to travel along Foster to Elston and then onto Forest Glen, so it should simply be in reverse. Right? Well, yes, if you know which way on each street you should go!  I did not, and as I told you, my tribe is as useless as I am. So there we were walking along quickly, so we didn’t get stuck in the dark, working on memory, and not doing the best of it!! Isaiah, who I have learned is as blind about directions as is Ayana, was certain we were to go south on Foster, while I was sure it was north, but I figured my choice looked less civilized than his, so went his way first. First mistake. I pulled someone over and they were very good-hearted, and eventually, based on my knowing that Dollar Tree was in the mall, figured I should go ‘that’ way. I did, and we kept walking and walking and walking. 

The darkness began to fall, and it didn’t help when Isaiah remarked to the kids, “This is East Hastings, guys.” Uh huh. Just what I want to hear!! It was really beginning to get dark, and I was starting to think about panicking. Of course, I prayed for help, and I fully trusted God would answer. 





Shortly after, we saw a man and a small girl at a mail box posting a letter. She had a balloon in her hand. I thought this was a good person to get help from. When I approached him, I was ‘glowing’ as they would say. I would say I was sweating like a horse. You try rushing across city streets, back and forth, trying to figure out from whence you came many hours earlier!

I told him my odd story and he asked me what was the address I was trying to find, and I informed him that was the problem. I had no clue. How clueless did I look! He reached into his pocket and pulled out a badge and explained that he as a Chicago police officer, so I was safe getting  help from him! How wonderful! Darkness was now upon us, and I was a wee bit concerned, as I knew my ‘home’ was out there, but where was the question! This officer directed me, and I headed on my way trusting he was correct. 

Another fifteen minutes later, we spied the bank where we had begun our day’s adventures, and then we saw our caravan, safe and sound. Does the day sound like it should be over? Yes, I agree, it does. But it wasn’t. Never that easy!


Courage saw a sign, and it said No more than 90 minutes of parking, and there was a tow away sign also attached. 




I realized we had been shown incredible mercy in that our caravan had been there all day and not been towed, but there was no way we could sleep there now. I went for a walk down the strip mall to see what was there, and I spotted a family loading up their suburban. Stopping by, I felt like a homeless woman with all my kids attached. I quickly explained I had an RV and was looking for somewhere to park for the night. He was ever so kind, and spoke about offering his driveway, but his wife said it would not be long enough. I did not want to get between husband and wife, so I told him I was fine; I would check out the church we had seen earlier. He informed me that he had seen a tow-truck around earlier, and so we were very fortunate that we had not been towed away! God’s protection, because the caravan and van was parked for the last nine hours!

He asked me if we would like some water. I could not resist. Normally, I would have been polite and let it pass, but we had walked for miles and miles - or so it seemed -  from the train station, and I knew the kids were thirsty. We gratefully accepted the water, and then he asked about food. Food was covered, I told him, as we had an RV and a refrigerator. His name was Carlos and his wife, Rosy. He seemed very reluctant to let us go on our way without being able to help us. He kept talking to us, and thinking of ideas, and finally his suggestion was that we park at the 7-Eleven, but I had already inspected it, and knew there was no way I could fit in the parking lot. I didn’t want this family holding themselves up any further, so I made out all was good, and we would check out the situation, and we said thanks and good-bye. I wandered with some of the children over towards the 7-Eleven, and then told them we would have to pull out and find something elsewhere; there was no room here. 

A few minutes later, after looking around the area, as I headed back with the children, what did I see? The woman, Rosy, coming up to me. She had not seemed that interested in helping us earlier; it had been more her husband, I think, but now she was amazing. She led me out to the street and showed me a spot that she thought would work. This tiny little lady was so determined. She rushed forward to inspect the street signs, and then said she would have her husband park his car in the spot, as I took the caravan around the block  to enter the gap. Wow! I was impressed at the kindness of these strangers!  Her husband was agreeable, and then, after I had parked the caravan, she wrote up their phone number and names in case we had any emergency. 

Talk about feeling taking care of. Are there angels in Chicago? I feel so.


In Our Campground

View From My Kitchen Window


View From My Office Window


Talk about feeling taking care of. Are there angels in Chicago? I feel so.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!