Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Monday, September 29, 2014

Day 34 - Old Quebec

Day 34 Old Quebec Tuesday, September 23, 2014

It had been suggested to me to park at Walmart and take the ferry to Old Quebec, and so that was my intention. The night before I had sent Isaiah into Walmart to see if he could find someone that spoke English to find which way to walk or drive to get to the ferry, and by the time he was done had had a group of people with varying levels of English helping him. I think they enjoyed the fact that they had a 15 year old foreigner asking for help in his travels. 

In the morning I decided to head out in the direction I was advised, and that turned out to be not so easy as I hoped. As I pulled up to stop lights I leaned out to ask drivers which way to Old Quebec and Ferry. You try saying that in French when you don't speak French!! Thankfully, I got one guy that spoke English, but I failed to tell him Ferry, and so he directed me right and not left. Bit by bit, I found my way to the ferry, only to find as I made a left hand turn into the parking lot that it said, "No Motorhomes", and there I was with my butt end in the lane and my nose in the turn. What to do?? I pulled in and sat sort of in the middle of the lane, pondering, while people drove in the lane beside me and on into the ferry parking lot. Finally, As I looked at the parking lot and the turns to get in and out, I sent Isaiah running to the booth to see if I could park in there (if I could make the turn) or if she knew where to park an RV. At the same time a guy on a bicycle came riding up beside me, so I grabbed him and asked his advice. He figured I could make the turn, so I took it - tight, tight, tight, but I did it! I hate being in binds like that. The woman figured I could park there, but she wasn't there all day, and wasn't sure what the next person would say, so the decision was to move on. 




Beautiful Homes Near the Ferry




A School



I took off out of there, up the very steep, curved hill, and then headed directly for the nearest KOA. (Kampsites of America) I had spoken to them the night before and learned that for $27 I could become a KOA member, and then receive 10-30% discounts from each campground across Canada and America. The Quebec site was $55 - 30%, so that left me paying under $40. Not bad, considering what they offer once you are in. I knew they offered a shuttle to Old Quebec, and though it would be costly it would be worth it, considering I had no idea where to park so that I could walk to the city. And there was no way I was going to miss out on seeing this historic city!

We arrived at 9:15, and the shuttle left at 9:30, so the hustle was on. I parked the caravan and we took off running for the shuttle, arriving minutes before it left. The drive in didn’t take too long - about 45 minutes, since it had to make numerous stops at various hotels before it arrived in front of the majestic Chateau Frontenac. 



There was so much to see in Old Quebec and my time was rather limited due to having to shorten the trip, so I had to pick and choose what to see. I wasn't sure if we would be able to take the second day in the city as I wanted to, so I set up the day to see what I could and planned to reevaluate at the end as to whether to add another day. As the day went it got colder and cold until it was quite icy, and then the rain began and eventually was pouring. Decision pretty much made! 


Our first stop was to Musee du Fort where we watched a model reenactment of the battles that Quebec fought over its lifetime. It was really fascinating for me, because we have been to Fort Montgomery down in New York, and some of the names and places connected in my mind, and I was able to see the Quebec point of view, as well as the American's stand-point, and as a person from England, I was also able to hear it from the British opinion. When we go home I have full intentions of getting the children involved in learning and writing all about Canadian and America history to add to their trip journals. When they are done they will have very inclusive keepsakes!

Part of the Model Ships. Lights Creating the Ice Effect


Our next stop was Cathedral Notre Dame. Our children have not been inside a cathedral since the trip to California in 2007, therefore, this crowd has never seen the grandeur. 




Portofino in Little Italy. Portofino was one of my favourite places when I visited Italy, so I had to check this restaurant out. It was a bit pricy, so a quick look was all it got, and then off to McDonalds it was. The Citadel was next on our stop and here we took a tour to learn all about it. The children have seen so many historical sites now that I can see that they are reaching the point of saturation, so I kept it very light. We enjoyed the visit and the information we learned, but I felt it was time to change the rest of our trip. No more history, but now instead, a little more typical site-seeing. 





From the Citadel Gun Windows

























The English were known to cut their stones (house to left) and the French to use what they could find (to the right). I am English, the Framer is French…. ;)  Hey Framer!! 


The furry hats are so that the enemy cannot see that they are being looked at. Interesting fact I did not know.



This is the Govenor General's residence when he is visiting.



Cruise Ships in the Harbour

Six Men Would Share This Cell


My Grandfather Fought at Vimy


This building is very special. Every day one soldier goes into this building and handles a very special book. This book holds the names of all soldiers who have died in the wars that Quebec has fought. As the soldier reverently turns a page, he reads each name that is written on the two facing pages. Each name is spoken aloud and he then says, "Je me souviens", which means "I remember"


This white cross was given by the French as a thank-you because the Canadians went in and in three days came up with a solution to a problem during the war, which had not been able to he solved in the previous three years. 








Having a Quick Lunch Before Catching the Bus


What a Cute Little Bus!


After all our site-seeing the children decided they wanted to catch the 4:00 bus back to the campsite rather than the 6:00 pm one. It was raining and very, very cold, and I agreed. Back to the campsite we went and then into our tiny caravan we piled, turning on the furnace to warm up our cold bodies!



Cute Little Bunnies All Over Our Campground!



A lovely surprise we found when we got when we arrived at the campsite that evening! A slow leak. I decided to deal with it in the morning.


The day finished with a warm fire, hot-dogs, marshmallows, and hot chocolate!
.

2 comments:

  1. I was afraid you were going to miss Old Quebec but I needn't have worried. And it's still SIGHT-seeing!! xx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid you were going to miss Old Quebec but I needn't have worried. And it's still SIGHT-seeing xx Mum

    ReplyDelete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!