Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Monday, September 22, 2014

Day 27 - THE FINISH LINE: Prince Edward Island

Wednesday, September 16, 2014  Murray Corner, NB - Charlottetown, PEI

When I reported to the Framer that I was going to be leaving for Prince Edward Island this morning, he said to me, "The finish line!!!"  I appreciated his enthusiasm, because that is what I have wanted for a long time - to go to PEI. I have just been so focused on getting across the country in one piece that the whole goal of getting to Prince Edward Island slipped right out of my mind!


The View From Our Caravan This Morning

 The View From the Bottom of the Hill Up to the Caravan

I do not understand why they still have dandelions and clover! The weather here is decidedly warmer than Maine was!! It is a crisp spring morning type weather. Cool at night, but pleasant in the daytime.

 The Beach Right Below Our Campsite


The amount of seaweed under my feet was unbelievable! It was at least six inches deep and slightly damp.








I am looking forward to taking a couple days in one campsite before we get busy again, just to let the children hang at the beach and play, dig, find shells, and run in the surf. It is truly lovely here, and this is not yet even Prince Edward Island. This site is Murray Corner on the very edge of New Brunswick looking over to PEI.








My main man emptying the sewer. I am so thankful to have Courage to rely on!!






Right in front you will see the Confederation Bridge. It was finished in 1997 and is nearly 13 km long. It took 55, 000 people to build! Driving over this was very scary for me. I do not like bridges at the best of times and this was only two narrow lanes long and so incredibly long! Then to add to this, they had road construction in the middle of the bridge, and they asked us to change lanes to one lane only on the left. As I switched lanes, white knuckling the steering wheel I felt certain I might go over the edge. That unrational fear you can feel. As I passed by the cones on the right, I heard shouting behind me, and Courage told me that I was taking out the large cones. What could I do, I asked him? Take out the cones or take out the edge of the bridge!! I was quite serious when I said this.

We finally crossed the bridge and entered the seaside welcoming town.



As we drove further along, Smarty-Pants Courage remarked to me that the construction worker in front was removing the cones because he saw me coming. Well, he was right. The guy was methodically widening the road by moving each cones further to the right.

We arrived in Cornwall, Prince Edward Island, and decided to check out a few campsites before I took them to Charlottetown for the surprise I had planned.  I do not camp at KOA as they are very expensive, but I decided to check out the prices on this one. I am glad I did! Instead of being the typical $60 a night, it was only $44, and the playground was wonderful with a jumping pillow and funny three wheel bikes for the kids to use. The kids all voted to put in the extra $2 to take us from the expected $35 a night to $45. I love how they team work to make extras happen!


Courage moving a picnic table to make my entry a little easier. ;)  Note the jumping pillow and playground in the distance! They even had a remote control car track and a beautiful pool, which sadly closed two days previously.


Spaghetti Dinner Before We Leave For Our Nights Fun


 Views From Our Campsite

Wide Open With Salt Water River to the Ocean Right Beside Us

The surprise I had planned was to take the children to the Conderation of the Arts Building to the Homburg Theatre to see the musical Anne of Green Gables. It is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest running production. This was the 50th year that it has been running in Charlottetown. Suffice it to say, they were thrilled and loved every minute of it!


2 comments:

  1. Truly Amazing!! You make to the Finish Line, you stop, pause to take it all in. And thought your eyes you gave us these remarkable pictures of PEI. So proud of you all and touched from the last two posts!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am *thinking* that this might be the Framer writing above, as I certainly did not write to myself! lol Am I right? You can always sign in as Anonymous if you don't have a profile! lol

      Delete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!