Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 9 - Wisconsin - The House on the Rock

DAY 9,  Friday, August 29, 2014
Part 1


From the cities of Minnesota to lush green farmland of Wisconsin we drove. It was a gorgeous drive with red barns and silver silos dotted all across the countryside. Pastoral is the only word I can use to describe the area, and with the historical buildings in the little villages, I could see why anyone would want to live here. 







Immediately after uttering these words, as if to make a point, I passed Parsonage Road on my right, and then Church Road on my left. 




Glancing to my left, I saw a little white church, tucked among the trees. I pulled over to take some pictures, and as I sat there something in the outside left-hand mirror caught my eye. It was the most remarkable site. I almost rubbed my eyes to see if they were deceiving me. It was an Amish man, complete with black pants, white shirt, and straw hat, but best of all, rather than walking, he was roller-blading up the country road. I sat there waiting for him to come up beside my van, so I could take a picture from behind when he passed, and then I realized that he had disappeared. I climbed around in my seat and peered out the back window, and then the story just got better. He was approaching an outhouse about ten feet from the edge of the freeway. By now he had everybody’s attention, as Courage began a running commentary as to what the man was doing, saying, “Oh, he’s bringing out a pitchfork now. He’s leaning it on the door. Oh, he’s propping it open, so he can see while he sits there!”



The man then very casually, as if were an everyday occurrence, and it probably was, propped open the door with the pitch fork, and then went and sat down. I couldn’t resist waiting for him to come out, so that I could get a picture, but he took too long, and I felt it would look very obvious if we waited much longer, so I began to pull away, but not before I saw him peering out at us, in his own curiosity, from his comfortable seat. He probably had a book in there!

As we slowly drove away, hoping he would appear for a photo, we accidentally fell across two darling little Amish girls of about three and five collecting the mail with their mother at a neighbouring farm. 




I would love to add days to this part of our journey, but we have dates booked on the 30th and 31st, so we have no choice but to move on. I do intend to spend a day or two camping in Amish country after we leave the craziness of Chicago, since our prebooked dates will have passed. 




I Absolutely Love the Honour the Americans Pay Their Soldiers!


We have a Share Shed in our town where people drop off things they don't want, and in turn, they can also pick up things they do want from other people's discards. Do you think they have a similar exchange with people's Brats? Could be a scary shed! Imagine the action!



Part 2 


After a quick picnic lunch at a grassy park, we finished our drive to the House on the Rock. I accidentally fell across the information for this attraction while checking out the 13’ ball of twine on the intenet. It seems the Mid-West is full of all kind of unique features, such as the 170 foot bottle of Ketchup, 58 foot Jolly Green Giant, the Corn Palace, Carhenge, the ball of twine, and the House on the Rock. I am sure there is more, but those are the ones that crossed my path. 

The House on the Rock was created by a man with a vision: Alex Jordan. 




The sign posting says “Indescribable” and that is what I would say. How do you describe a house that has a room with over 3000 windows and is suspended hundreds of feet over a forest floor, or a house that has a street from yesterday in it? 























Or a room with the world’s largest carousel? This house was unbelievable!  There were three sections and each section had numerous areas within. Trees grew from within and the walls and ceilings were built to incorporate them; Rock was hewn into benches and shelves. Collections of crown jewels replicas and crowns, and guns of every size, shape and description were displayed. Teapots, and dolls and suits of armour. You name it. It was there. Alex Jordan had a vision many years ago to create a house where literature, art, and sculpture could be and he created it. Each year he added to this house. In the 1960s people suggested he charge admission to get in, and he began to do so. He died in 1989, but not before he completed a house of art that will not easily be forgotten. It was something remarkable, and to think it all came from one man. 

Leaving The House on the Rock behind we drove to Jane’s house for the night. I felt like I was in Oz as I read the road signs: County Z, Upper Wyoming (aren't we in Wisconsin?), Far Look Rd, County A, B, C, D, etc. And the roads I was on - wow, was it as scenic route!







The wonderful thing about Jane is that she was not a friend of Melodie’s. She heard about me through Heather, and though she did not know Melodie, she still invited our family to stay!! We had a pleasant evening of chatting, while the children played Capture the Flag and Mission Impossible outdoors. 








The road was a cul-de-sac, so it was tricky to park in, but we managed due to the kindness of the neighbours who didn’t object to me parking across parts of their driveways! And another new friend was made. 


.

2 comments:

  1. We should have had Brats while you were here - I didn't even think of them being a unique midwest thing. I was so amused when I first moved here and was clueless, and saw a sign on a McDonald's playland advertising "We have Brats!"

    I am always amused that in the area near my in-laws, there is a County Rd. OO. It drove my husband nuts when I would see the sign and just say, "O O!" He'd freak out looking for what was wrong. I'm so mean. I'm glad the visit with Jane worked out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to finally get some news. It seems I have missed something. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. Keep on keeping on. Aren't you getting tired? Rusty

    ReplyDelete

I'm delighted you chose to travel along with us. It is likely to be unpredictable, but I can guarantee it will be fun!! Please feel free to drop us a line to encourage us on our journey!